Browse recordings: livestream.com/educon3
- Session Four: Sunday 10:30am–12:00pm
- Room 208
- Darren Kuropatwa, Dean Shareski
- Affiliation: http://wwwtp.wikispaces.com/
- Conversational Focus/Audience:
- All School Levels
- Conversation Description:
The over reliance on text in schools generally ignores the shift of society towards visual expression. While teachers have had lots of experience and opportunity to hone their communication skills when it comes to text, they often have difficulty incorporating viewing and representing as communication strands. This conversation will explore curriculum and cross disciplinary opportunities to explicitly teach visual literacy skills using concrete examples from the news and a Mythbusters approach to YouTube. Participants will work collaboratively to create video and/or images that concretely demonstrate how understanding the content is informed and molded by how we consume that content and communicate visually. Part of our discussion will examine how much experience students need in creating visual content in order to be effective, well informed citizens in a society that is shifting towards greater visual expression. Bring your laptop and be prepared to play and learn and talk.
- Conversational Practice:
- This session will include structured discussion around viewing and hands on opportunities to build content together
No comments have been posted yet.