Browse recordings: livestream.com/educon4
- Session Three: Saturday 3:00pm–4:30pm
- Room 209
- Deborah Wei, Nancy Nguyen, Bach Tong
- Affiliation: School District of Philadelphia/Former Principal of FACTS Charter (Deborah), Boat People S.O.S (Nancy), Asian Student Association of Philadelphia/SLA (Bach)
- Conversational Focus/Audience:
- High School, All School Levels
- Conversation Description:
As a major urban school district, Philadelphias schools reflect tremendous diversity across language, culture and race. Yet Philadelphias neighborhoods are often marked by segregation and many students come to school with minimal multiracial experiences. How do we create safe and diverse environments for our schools, especially within schools that serve multilingual and immigrant communities. How do schools from the bottom up reflect not only a climate of non-violence, but deep inclusiveness?
Philadelphia community advocates Deborah Wei, Nancy Nguyen, and Bach Tong will lead this workshop along with students from South Philadelphia High School who boycotted their school in 2009 to demand a safer school environment. Topics covered will include their work with the U.S. Dept. of Justice, Victim/Witness Services of South Philadelphia, and other student groups about building unique, skilled and collaborative partnerships for safe schools.
- Conversational Practice:
- Panel discussion/Presentation/Activity/Q-A
No comments have been posted yet.