None registered yet
Professionalizing teaching: A guided discussion on what WE (teachers) can do to make teaching more professional.
Browse recordings: livestream.com/educon8
- Session Six: Sunday 2:30pm–4:00pm
- Room 303
- Juan Gabriel Sanchez, Matthew Van Kouwenberg, Rosalind Echols
- Affiliation: Teachers, Science Leadership Academy
- Conversation Description:
Those who can, do; those who master, teach. Teachers do not often receive the respect accorded many other professions. Many districts are adopting stricter credential requirements for teachers, but emergency credentials for beginning teachers are still a necessity. The idea that one can dabble in our profession is disconcerting and, at times, insulting. Why is teaching perceived to be something that any well-meaning individual can do without professional training? What can teachers do to combat that perception? We will explore the rationale, real-world necessities, and (mis)conceptions about teaching that result in under-trained teachers. We will discuss what it means to be a professional, such as keeping abreast of contemporary research, techniques, and ideas to continually improve our craft, as well as the responsibilities inherent to teaching that require us to improve.
- Conversational Practice:
- We will pose the question about professionalizing teaching and explore it as we would any inquiry lesson in the classroom.
No comments have been posted yet.